Week 28; May 19, 2014: 6-Month Anniversary Tradition

So starting off, Monday was my 6-month mark and it was a pretty good day. It happened to have also landed on one of the zone leader’s (Elder Hall) birthday so we spend the day celebrating that. And then after P-Day was over, we had a lesson with some investigators, who have been taught one lesson before I met them (which was about half of the Restoration) Since it has been a while, we pretty much skimmed through the first half of the lesson and then taught the last half. And these two are such golden investigators, I swear. Honestly, it’s probably the best lesson we ever taught. They were super receptive and didn’t really disagree with anything we were saying. In fact, when we were asking them questions throughout the lesson and discussing certain things, they themselves brought up how she grew up Catholic and he grew up Lutheran and they all felt all these religions were arguing with each other and had the opinion that none of them were entirely true and they totally agreed that there would need to have been a restoration of the church that Christ set up. They have been super prepared by the Lord, it’s amazing! The spirit was so strong and she ended up crying twice and she is very receptive to spiritual moments that happen within her life. Since that lesson, we visited with them again with the Bishop from the ward and with the Stake President and she mentioned how she prayed and when she was finished, she could swear that she saw hands holding something to her, but she wasn’t sure what it was. He is having a more difficult time with praying and recognizing answers, but we’ll keep working with him. And he’s super receptive to the message. As long as they keep their commitments and read and pray about the Book of Mormon and attend church, then they should be golden.

So not a bad day for a 6-month mark. And then it is tradition in the Arizona Gilbert Mission to burn a tie at your 6-month mark, so naturally I had to follow tradition. That was pretty fun. (Video coming soon!)

Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 4.28.20 PM Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 4.27.55 PM

On Wednesday morning, we took Mark, a recent convert, to the Gilbert Temple to do baptisms. We thought the temple would be really good for him to feel the spirit there. Elder Peery had me do the baptizing and I have never baptized anyone before obviously, so I had to kind of review it a little bit beforehand of what I had to do. I was a little nervous because I had never done this before. And it was when I got into the font that I realized I should have brought my glasses with me to the temple because the screen that had the names was so far away and the font varied from being a large sized font to being extremely tiny. Needless to say, I butchered a lot of the names and was pretty embarrassed by it. Still, it was a pretty cool experience to have been able to do that. And now I can’t say that “I never baptized anyone in my mission,” haha!

Saturday ended up becoming a pretty busy day, but not the kind of busy I was hoping for. Saturday morning, we filled up progressing records until it was time to head for lunch. The stake center right next to the Gilbert Temple was having an open-house today, which they didn’t tell us about until the day before. So they asked all the missionaries in the zone to help clean the building and set up some stuff at 2PM (the open-house was 3PM to 6PM). So we figured we’d be there for about an hour to set up and then leave. Nope! Turns out that we were supposed to have actually segments where we were going to talk about certain rooms such as talking about the chapel and the different classrooms and then set up a temple presentation for anyone who had questions about the temple. So we didn’t find this out until about 2:20 PM. Yeeeeeah, that would’ve been great to know earlier. So we try to scramble together and get everything set up and we feel pretty ready by the time 3PM starts and we’re ready to get this open-house started.

How many people showed up for the stake center open-house? About two. Yup. So most of the time we were just sitting there bored not getting anything done because we were apparently in charge of a big portion of this open-house. So by the time 6PM came around, we had to tear everything down. And then we finally left at about 7PM and went out for dinner. By the time we were done with dinner, it was about 8PM, so we just headed back to our apartment because it would have been pointless to head out into our areas for about 30 minutes and then ride all the way back. And we had a lot scheduled for Saturday too. We had two lessons we had to cancel at the last minute and we were planning on personally inviting each of our investigators to church, none of that got done. So that was pretty frustrating. Ah well.

Sunday was pretty cool though because the less-active brother of a part-member family we’ve been teaching got a calling that day as a Scout Committee chairman. And the past three weeks he’s gone to church is the first time he’s gone to church since High school. That’s pretty cool! So I was really excited that he got a calling because now him and his family are really going to get involved in the church even more so (he has a 15-year old son and an 11 year old who’s turning 12). We’re going to be teaching them again Tuesday, but that was really exciting to see that.

Anyway, so there’s been some struggles going on in the area, but as I said before, I’m not complaining. I’m happy to be teaching and this has been a good week. I hope all is going well with you guys!

Elder Foxx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s